16 Apr 2020 All suburbs Airds, Ambarvale, Bardia, Blair Athol, Blairmount, Bow Bowing, Bradbury, Campbelltown, Claymore, Denham Court, Eagle Vale, Englorie Park, Eschol Park, Gilead, Glen Alpine, Glenfield, Gregory Hills, Holsworthy, Ingleburn, Kearns, Kentlyn, Leumeah, Long Point, Macquarie Fields, Macquarie Links, Menangle Park, Minto, Minto Heights, Mount Annan, Raby, Rosemeadow, Ruse, St Andrews, St Helens Park, Varroville, Wedderburn, Woodbine, Woronora Dam, Outside LGA,

Residents can join Council in remembering those who lost their lives during the Appin Massacre by tuning into a streamed flag raising ceremony on Friday 17 April.

It is estimated at least 14 Dharawal men, women and children died on 17 April 1816 at what is considered to be one of the worst colonial massacres in the history of NSW.

This year the annual service will be held privately so current restrictions on gathering can be observed to ensure the safety and wellbeing of the community.

A recording of the ceremony will then be posted to Council’s Facebook and Instagram pages.

Mayor George Brticevic will raise the flags and Council’s Arts and Cultural Liaison Officer Brenden Broadbent will read statements from local Aboriginal Elders, Aunty Glenda Chalker and Uncle Ivan Wellington during the ceremony.

Recorded didgeridoo music performed by local Aboriginal man, Allistar Flanders will be played.

“The Appin Massacre is a source of great sorrow in our community and will continue to be honoured during these extraordinary times,” Mayor George Brticevic said.

“It is important that we continue to remember those lives that were taken so we have a better understanding of the lasting impact of events like this and take further strides towards reconciliation,” Cr Brticevic said.


The Appin Massacre was carried out on orders by the then Governor of New South Wales, Lachlan Macquarie in reprisal for disputes between white settlers and Aboriginal groups.

Tragically there was no evidence the group of Dharawal people that were targeted had any link to prior clashes in the area.

Documents in the NSW State Government archive record how soldiers attacked the group at their camp at 1am, driving them towards a precipice with gunfire.

While 14 bodies were counted, others were believed lost and unaccounted for in the gorge. Only two women and three children survived according to the account of Captain James Wallis, who led the attack.

Page rendered in 0.4125 seconds.
Copyright © 2018-2024 Council News. All rights reserved.
Sponsored by TransferWise a cheaper, faster way to send money abroad.